5/5, based on 553
Private German Resistance Tour
€170.00 for 3 Hours to €200.00 for 4 Hour Combination Tour with Third Reich Saving 10%!
Are you looking for a much more personal & intimate tour? A tour catered purely for you?
With InMunich Private Tours you get a unique experience with a completely personal & highly experienced guide.
A 3 Hour fully guided tour of Munich's Old City (Altstadt) & the Schwabing District looking at the many groups & individuals who risked & lost their lives resisting the Nazi Party.
Munich was the birthplace of National Socialism & when Hitler came to power in 1933 it would become "The Capital of the Movement".
What is often overlooked by many visitors to the city is that it was also a place of German resistance to the Nazi regime. Die Weisse Rose (the White Rose) & Georg Elser are two prime examples of how many Germans refused to bow in the face of fascist oppression. But if you look further there are many other surprising & unexpected stories that shed light on the often forgotten individuals who stood up despite the consequences.
Our tour will look at Hitler’s rise to power & more importantly, we will explore the multifaceted nature of resistance to the Nazis in Munich & Germany as a whole. Below are some of the many themes discussed & places visited on this walking tour of Munich.
• Rise of the Nazis -Early resistance in Munich.
• Germany's defeat in 1945- The destruction of the city & its liberation by the U.S. Army 70 years ago.
• Dodger’s Alley- The Munich Beer Hall Putsch & passive resistance. Dachau, the first permanent concentration camp & Conservative resistance.
• Hofgartenarkaden & Memorial to the German Resistance- ‘Degenerate Art’, The July 20th Plot, Joseph Hufnagel & Die Weisse Rose.
• Plaque for the Freiheitsaktion Bayern- Rupprecht Gerngross & German military resistance in Munich.
•Walter Klingenbeck’s ‘pirate radio station’& other youth resistance movements.
• Ludwig Maximilian’s University- Hans & Sophie Scholl, Memorials for Die Weisse Rose, Fritz Gerlich & "The Wounds of Memory"
• Georg Elser Memorial- Georg Elser & his attempt on Hitler’s life on 8 November, 1939. Alter Simpl & the Simplissimus satirical magazine, which took a strong stand against extremism.
• Former Gestapo Headquarters- Trial & sentencing of Die Weisse Rose. The arrest & execution of Georg Elser. Head of Gestapo Reinhard Heydrich & his anti-fascist brother Heinz Heydrich.
• Square to the Victims of National Socialism- Memorial to the Murdered Sinti & Roma Gypsies of Europe. Hans Beimler - the only man to escape Dachau, The Dachau Uprising & the myth that Jews didn't fight back. Resistance to the far right in Germany today.